Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Starting on Asala

No, not the Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation of Armenia.

Now that Yusaris has been released, I've started work on it's sister sword, Asala.


Unlike Yusaris, Asala's original model's plainness is rather hard to break away from. It doesn't have a lot of detail I can turn into geometry without really cranking up the polygon count. For example, look at the bottom right viewport. There is so much filigree it isn't funny.

Right now, I'm getting all the big details done. I've worked on the handle, pommel, and blade. I'm currently working on the crossguard and it's a bit tricky. There are a lot of elements in the texture that flow on, into, or over other major pieces of geometry. So, I'll have to selectively raise and lower geometry to better represent the texture's details. Or, I could just draw it all out in splines like I did with both Vigilances and make a 20k polygon sword. Well, 40k because there are two sides to this weapon.

No comments:

Post a Comment