Thursday, November 15, 2012

Asala Greatsword Progress #2 and Job Hunt Update

The polycount is quickly rising. I'm almost at 6k (original is included in the screenshot's polycount). I'm making the topmost details in the texture physical geometry with the rest staying in texture. This method is giving me some bad vibes about the end result, but I don't want to sit here twiddling my thumbs because it may not look right.

If I made the rest of the metal...uhm...bands on the crossguard geometry, I'd probably add another 1200 polygons. It is quite tempting.

----------------------------------------------------------

I got a rejection email, ahem, personal response saying the following:

  • I had "a lot of technical skills" (good) "to acquire" (ouch) before being able to work in their Junior IT position.
  • "It would take a lot of training" (You said you were willing to train...) "to provide you with all the business, sales, and technical knowledge" (Sales? That wasn't in the description and I'm not going to sell product when I'm trying to fix machines). 
  • "We have no problem providing training" (Uh huh) "But $15/hr is too much to pay a Junior IT position" (So, the bottom end of the average salary for a Junior IT position according to Glassdoor is too much.)
For the technical skills, I knew I wasn't going to get the job as soon as I read them. Here they are:
  1. Ethernet, TCP/IP protocols (down to the packet capture level)
  2. Telephony (PRI/ISDN/POTS/PBXs)
  3. Linux
  4. Planning, installation, troubleshooting and administration of Exchange 2003 and 2007/2010.
  5. Planning, installing, troubleshooting and administration of Microsoft Windows 2003/2008/2008R2 Server and Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 Desktop operating systems.
  6. Active Directory and Group Policy creation and deployment.
  7. SonicWALL firewall and security products
  8. Hyper V and/or VMware virtualization technology
  9. Microsoft SQL and mySQL
  10. Asterisk PBX compiled from source code and Polycom IP phones
  11. Programming: PHP, ColdFusion, .NET
Out of all those requirements, I had half of 1, maybe 2. Should probably add Windows 8/Server 2012 to the list if they haven't filled the spot yet.

From what I've seen of other "Junior IT" positions, the requirements for this position were absurd. For example, another Junior IT position ($12/hr, 3 days a week) I applied for required the following:
  1. Installation of Windows XP/Vista/7 and drivers for specific hardware
  2. Familiar with joining machines to a domain and setting up/using Active Directory
  3. Familiar with troubleshooting Windows machines
  4. Familiar with networking
For these requirements, I definitely had 3 out of  4.

I kind of wish there was some sort of standard on what is and isn't "Junior" level because the differences between these two are ridiculous. (I didn't get the bottom position either. Oh well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment