Friday, November 16, 2012

Asala Greatsword - No more polygons

Okay. Now it's official, I'm making the bands in the texture. The bands you see above add 8440 polygons and put me way above my comfort zone of 10k polygons.

I looked up, got the gist of, and tried patches, but they're even worse. I didn't even get to double symmetry to cover all sides. There were just too many polygons per band.

I could trim maybe 200-300 polygons from either method, but that still leaves me with an absurd amount of polygons. So, I'm going to try extruding a little tube to merge the crossguard with its rings and leave the rest in texture.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have 3 days to learn, configure, break, fix, troubleshoot, and otherwise become an expert on Exchange and Outlook for an interview Monday, 100 miles from home, in the morning, through several heavy traffic areas. Wooo.

Currently, I'm waiting for the Windows Server 2008 R2 VM I just created to finish its first batch of updates (128 updates, 350MB). I have a Windows XP VM ready to go, but the Server VM is taxing my harddrive and I can't copy it over without slowing everything down significantly.

Downloading Exchange was easy. Find it on Microsoft's site, hit download, count to a hundred. Outlook, on the other hand, was annoying. I kept getting redirected to a text-only page saying "Server error!" in 4 frames surrounding a Windows Live login. This lead me to create a Windows Live ID (ugh), log in, verify email, read the "We won't give you the option to opt out of special email offers until you get them" and "We now own your personal information" license agreements, get to the download page, download the downloader for the download (Is Outlook really that big?), and spend 5 minutes trying to sign-out because the Sign-Out button kept redirecting me to a "You can't do that"/"Server Error" page. Once I managed to sign-out, the button did not change to "Sign-In". I don't recall a sign-in button anywhere, actually.

Why was a Live ID necessary? Simple: You have to get a trial key.
I can download a dozen flavors of Windows and install them in trial mode without a key, yet Office and its components require trial keys. I'm not seeing the logic there.

--------------------------------------------------------------

EULAs and licenses in general have gotten way out of hand. Everytime I install something, it's like I've signed my life away. I can understand the "don't steal our stuff" parts, but all those Marketing/R&D/CYA sections are ridiculous. Every "Agreement" I read just reaffirms it is in our nature to screw over the other guy. Loopholes, specific language, definitions in context, all that jazz.

Then you have all the legalese to sift through. Everything is intentionally written to be vague and hard to read. Additionally, THEY USE ALL CAPS TO MAKE "IMPORTANT" SECTIONS EVEN HARDER TO READ BECAUSE WE DON'T LIKE READING BLOCK LETTERS IN HUGE CLUMPS BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE THE STANDARD FLOW OF LOWERCASE LETTERS, THUS MAKING IT MORE DIFFICULT TO TRACK YOUR POSITION IN A SENTENCE AND THAT EXTRA PROCESSING MAKES KEEPING TRACK OF THE SUBJECT MATTER EVEN MORE OF A STRAIN FOR THE "AVERAGE" PERSON. SO, IN ADDITION TO ASSUMING EVERY USER IS HELL-BENT ON DESTROYING THEIR COMPANY FROM THE SLIGHTEST PROVOCATION AND WRITING DOWN TERMS TO PROTECT THEM FROM SAID VENGEANCE, THEY DECIDE TO SCREW OVER THAT SAME PERSON FOR GP, GENERAL PURPOSE. BECAUSE, IF THEY'RE GOING TO DO IT TO YOU, YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO IT TO THEM FIRST, RIGHT?
*Now: How many of you read that as yelling?

I'm pulling from Graphic Arts lessons for the above section. Also, the afterimage of the whitespace between lines is uniform when in ALL CAPS, thus making it harder to track your position using landmark letters/words. Try it. Stare at a full page, all-caps section of any "Agreement", shift your eyes until you see the afterimage, and look back. Now, try it for a lowercase section. Or, try reading any book in all caps. Not fun. Although, I was probably the only person to say caps were easier to read on that graphic arts test...oops.

...I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment