Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Youtube Monetization

A while ago, I decided to try monetizing my videos to see what kind of money I'd make. Conclusion: Enough to possibly buy a hotdog and soda after 14 years. Why am I writing about this now? Well, I got an email saying my Cube Freezing tutorial for Portal 2 needed more information in order to be monetized.

When I started monetizing my videos, YouTube had a text box you'd have to fill in to explain why they should monetize your video. A few months ago, they removed that box. While I was glad not to have to keep typing out the same spiel over and over again, the looseness concerned me. And now, I've set off their alarms or was randomly chosen to prove myself worthy.

In either case, I looked at how much money I "made" since I started and came to the conclusion of "Not worth it." So, I logged into YouTube to uncheck the monetization checkbox and was greeted by a "Changes cannot be saved" error. This also prevented me from changing anything else about the video even when I rechecked the box. I had to go to the viewing page of the video and click on the description to change anything.

So, in an attempt to remove the uncheck the monetization checkbox, I filled out the form YouTube sent me for "Proving I have ownership" and basically said "It was a fun experiment, but as you can clearly see, not worth it." This probably means my account has a strike against it now, so, joy.

For whomever it was that blew up when I started monetizing and said "You're getting greedy man! I'm not going to pay for this! What's next? Paying to read the titles of your maps?! What is wrong with you!?" Look, no money gain. Just like I said would most likely be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment