Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Portal 2 - Thaumaturgy Post Mortem Part 2

I forgot some things.

Hiding player-facing walls:


Okay, my original idea had the cube sliding back and forth in its room. When a weighted cube was lifted off the button, the circuits would move away and when placed, the circuits would move back. I had a little physbox on the back of each circuit that, when passing through a trigger, would hide and disable their respective circuits. However, the trigger wouldn't constantly fire it's outputs like it did in Here a Second ago. Instead, it'd fire once and not work until I disabled it, moved the circuits away, and re-enabled it. I still haven't figured out why that's the case.

I considered making the physboxes cover the entire surface of the circuit backings, but decided against it for some...reason... *shrugs*

Anyways, in the current build, if the weighted cube is not properly placed into its button, the wall hiding trigger will be enabled prematurely and some walls will not disappear making it hard to either a) complete the circuit or b) get into the interior. The trigger has a half-second delay so if you unpress the button too soon, it won't enable, but that's the best I've come up with so far.

Sliding:


As mentioned above, the cube initially moved back and forth. But as my control model moved more toward a realtime control, it became harder to make sure the cube would be flush against the wall. Since I could have arbitrary angles, the cube would clip into the walls, not something I wanted.

With my main method of getting into the cube gone, I thought about using linked_portal_doors, portalable surfaces, and light bridges as alternatives. As usual, the linked_portal_doors had a bug. In this case, once I stepped through into the cube, everything on the other side would disappear except world geometry and shadows. Portalable surfaces weren't very appealing as I'd have to cut more holes into the walls, thus making the solution either impossible or too easy. So, I settled on a light bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment