Monday, September 23, 2013

Sentinel Armor Progress 4

I'm unwrapping the armor starting with the helmet and the hands. Up next: Boots.

I tried unwrapping in 3ds Max 2012. It was...interesting. The problem was how radically different the UI was compared to 2011. I had to guess that each icon meant and hope that the developers and I agreed on that meaning.

The Peel function is interesting. I divide most of the geometry using shading groups. So, Peeling splits the UV map according to those groups, saving me from doing it manually. Neat trick.

Now, I'm trying to decide how I want to make the mod. The armor I have right now, minus the helmet, contains geometry common to nearly all the massive armor in Dragon Age: Origins. So, a different armor is just a retexture (sometimes, just a palette swap). I can release what I have now in a small mod and make more later or I could model the other unique pieces and release the whole thing at once. I probably won't come to a decision until after I complete the Sentinel armor. I need to see how big one armor set will be to determine whether or not the Workshop will support more.

No comments:

Post a Comment