Saturday, July 7, 2012

Hiatus

I've been taking some time off from doing, well, anything. Switched from producer to consumer you could say. I was running myself into the ground again; constantly working from one project to the next. Sometimes, with several in tandem. So, I had a mini vacation last weekend after not having a proper getaway for close to a decade.

After consolidating and posting my Dragon Age Series weapons pack on the Skyrim Workshop and Nexus, I started feeling it. Upload, then work on new weapons, fix bugs, release new version with new weapons, get myself back into gear on Backstock, and procrastinate instead of job hunting. That's something I've been noticing. If there's something I should be doing, whether it's something I enjoy or not, I just stop doing it, pick up something else, and bounce them around the backburner. I suppose this is true for a lot of people and isn't unique to myself and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before along with mentioning I've mentioned this before...

Now, I'm getting back to well, everything, again. I'm finally putting work into a map for Backstock, picked up my own map to hopefully kick off Test Map Pack 5, picking a new weapon to start the second Dragon Age Series weapons pack (I'm too close to the 100MB upload limit on Steam and compressing .bsa's fails every single time), looking into another mapping tutorial for the Source engine or Portal 2, getting my Leather Duster back into Skyrim (there's an annoying issue of random polys extending to infinity despite not changing vertex counts or numberings as far as I can tell), and finishing off my frying pan weapons for Skyrim.

Speaking of frying pans, I pan fried my first steaks today. Thin ones, but they came out great. It's amazing how good they can taste with only salt and pepper. I cooked them over medium heat and, thus, took about 5x as long as the recipe said it would take. Not bad though.

I finally beat Dungeon Siege 3. I put the game aside after I bought it because I was really getting into remaking Dragon Age's weapons for Skyrim. Gaming as a whole was taking too much time. I'm a little sad that the game died out so fast and there's no one hosting multiplayer games, but it is what it is. I snagged all the single playthrough achievements I could/knew of. It took me about 27 hours to get through on Reinhart and I spent several hours trying to get the achievements for the final parts of the game.

After looking at the models in the game, I've been toying with bringing those weapons to Skyrim. However, I don't really know how I'd do that. You can really zoom in and I don't have the tools to pry open whatever proprietary formats the content is veiled behind. There were tools out there last I checked, but that was months ago.

About the camera in DS3, I have a strong dislike for it. I remember the DS3 demo not having strafe. I was thinking to myself "why cut this out?" Another annoyance was the restrictive camera angles. I have "close to my back and can't see much else" and "far from my back and can't see ahead of me". The story was good and the gameplay was alright. Not a fan of the camera though. Glad they put strafing in, but I really hated not being able to see in front of myself.

"Expectation of privacy" just crossed my mind. Literally. Am I doing myself any favors by putting all this information out there? I'm making myself appear more human, but at what cost? All the job hunting sites, books, pamphlets, and seminars/talks I've read/attended say to be careful what you post online. And with all this "We demand your facebook password" nonsense going on, should I put even heavier filters down on what I write? Or should I give a giant "screw you" and not compromise myself for the sake of finding a job? This blog was made for my modding work, not me. Can I separate myself from my work and not come off as some faceless entity on the Net? I don't have a website, so if employers look me up, this is what they'll see.

If I get asked "What's your Facebook password?", I'm going to reply "Don't you need an account for those?"

No comments:

Post a Comment