Friday, May 11, 2012

Starfang Greatsword

After Vigilance's release, I had a request for Starfang from Dragon Age: Origins - Warden's Keep DLC. So, I made it. Instead of taking 35 days like Vigilance, it only took 9. I'm not sure what to make of that yet. Vigilance was a lot more involved and had a lot of details I turned into actual geometry instead of relying on normal maps. I also lost a lot of time trying to get normal maps to render correctly (tip: check for anomalies if you used MeshSmooth to create your high poly model).

Anyways, I decided to take screenshots documenting its creation instead of making numerous blog posts. Without further ado, here they are:

Starting out. Using Iron Claymore as size reference
Made reference card using Dragon Age wiki image
Eyeballing shape
Basic Detailing
Starting UV unwrapping
Starting the texture
Seeing how the texture lines up on the model
Adding more base colors
Smile!
The interior of the sword reminded me of the Normandy from Mass Effect
Adding details to the texture
Baking AO to give some shading to the texture
Adding the fuller
Reshaping and realigning texture
Adding glow
Glow Set
Ingame shot

No comments:

Post a Comment