Saturday, May 12, 2012

Content Creation versus Consumption

   There isn't enough time in the day. There is just so much I want to do, but can't seem to cram into a single day.
What I do:
  • Clone weapons from Dragon Age to release on Skyrim Workshop. I find it fun and it's good practice.
  • Create my own weapons for release on Skyrim's Workshop (currently, Frying Pans of various shapes and sizes).
  • UV map and make all the textures for the above models 
  • Work on a Portal 2 mod.
  • Make videos of maps I've made or mapping tutorials
   I'm finding my PC's specs aren't up to the task. I mean, if I do one thing at a time, it's good. But I continuously bounce from one project to the next. Like right now. I'm working on a model in 3ds Max 2011, using Photoshop CS4 to edit the texture, rendering my latest mapping tutorial in VirtualDub, and recompiling a map for re-release on the Portal 2 Workshop. I've killed Skyrim and Portal 2 for now, but usually one or the other is up at any given time.

   My machine has pushed 6GB of RAM (8 total) and I've maxed out my graphics card's 512MB of vram a few times (3dsMax threw an error about it and stopped rendering). My CPU is at 100% for minutes at a time because of Photoshop applying all the filters, blending options, layers, 3DS Max hanging on some operation I shouldn't have done (Yeah! 2 Subdivision passes!), or Vrad compiling map in both ldr and hdr. I can't run them all at once and they all take a while. This wasn't a problem until now. I'm just creating so much I now understand the need for beefy specs.

   The biggest issue is my lack of Vram. Photoshop, 3DS Max, and Hammer take it all up. If I start a game to test, Max craps out. That's another thing. I'm not playing games anymore. I'm testing what I've made for them. I still have to beat Dungeon Siege 3 and haven't touched the Explosive Mission DLC for DX:HR (Go Steam Sale!).

No comments:

Post a Comment