Monday, June 11, 2012

Texturing just got streamlined

Okay, so, when I export a model's UV to Photoshop, I use 3ds Max's "Render UV template" function. This produces a raster image I then import into Photoshop and trace vectors over. Needless to say, this can get tedious. Especially when I make major changes to the UV.

So, I sought out a way to turn those vertices on the UV into vertices on a vector. In the end, I came across Render Pass Manager's PSDPathUnwrapper...and it works beautifully.

The mesh in 3ds Max
The resulting path in Photoshop
  Now, I can simply apply the mesh's path to a layer and cut out the bits I want instead of tracing using the Pen tool. I've already made major changes to the UV and they only took a couple minutes to setup again in Photoshop. No moving around, no zooming in to the pixel level to align vertices, and no complete retraces for broken/merged elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment