Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Another day, another project

   Iwkya1 has been continuing his 3d character modelling tutorials. Lately, it's been eyes, mouth, and nose. It's rather interesting how you can get such a low poly shape that (more or less) accurately represents rather complex features. I had thought you'd go all out and make it as high poly as possible, then reduce it down so you preserve what you want while still having a high poly version to do baking.

   I know I shouldn't, but I'm waiting for Iwkya1 to merge the meshes together. I want to see if he has some trick to it.


   I haven't been doing a lot of mapping for myself lately. Right now, I'm working on a little scene for a mod and making its logo. I think I'm going to revisit an idea that didn't work and make it so I can finish Test Map Pack 4.

   I've imported the Vigilance Greatsword from Dragon Age 2 into Skyrim. I liked it in both Awakening and DA2. Being that it was never obtainable in game, the HD texture pack for DA2 didn't include a higher res version. So, I've been recreating every little piece of it using vectors in Photoshop so I can scale it up easier.
   The mesh is low poly but uses what appears to be a high poly generated normal map. I scaled that up using Bicubic Smooth enlargement to double its size in 10% increments. Then, I used the blur tool to get rid of pixelation (probably not the best solution, but it worked).

These are old pics of Vigilance I was using to see what was wrong. I'm correcting things now.



Maybe I should email the devs and ask if they could release/send me the higher res texture. Asking for the mesh would probably raise some flags.

No comments:

Post a Comment